Monday, May 9, 2011

HW 53 - Independent Research A

1. Article One: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/nyregion/in-funeral-industry-womens-presence-grows.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=funeral%20homes&st=cse

Precis: Lisa S. Dozier saw death from a very unusual perspective, especially considering the age she was first exposed. She didn't find it frightening, or something she should avoid, very much so the complete opposite, something that should be embraced. Through this realization she began her path to caring for the dead, to turn this unavoidable step into something filled with peacefulness.

Article Two: http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/30/into-the-big-green-beyond/?scp=4&sq=funeral%20homes&st=cse

Precis: Only thirty percent of Americans who die every year, use alternative methods of caring for the dead. Although there are alternative options, if one was to inquire about them they would have to do their research ahead of time. Not only are these alternatives less expensive they are better for the environment.

Both texts make it clear that there are alternative ways of facing and dealing with death. Dozier shows that even in the traditional sense there doesn't have to be a cold and worried feeling in the atmosphere, that in actuality the person who has died should feel peaceful. Reading about how Dozier became involved with caring for the death is comforting in a sense, showing that there is a real sense of sincerity. While the other article shows death doesn't have to be expensive or even have such a strong cliche. That the way we handle death now is hurting the environment, and burning holes in pockets. Our alternatives are out there we just have to be willing to look for them, hiding behind societies standards is hurting us more than helping us understand how simple death should and could be.

2. I walked over to a funeral home on 81st Street, I realized I had passed it hundreds of times but never realized exactly what it was. As I got closer I felt nervous and anxious, I was questioning whether or not I should enter this building. I stood across the street for a good couple of minutes, and something inside of me told me to turn around. I listened to my gut and decided I would feel more comfortable talking to someone on the phone. I didn't want to face death directly. Once I got home I found the phone number but once again felt hesitant to call. Maybe it was because I wasn't really interested in organizing a funeral or maybe because part of me fears that one day I am going to actually have to do this for real. I tried to ignore my nerves and pressed call. The phone rang twice and a man picked up, his voice was calm yet friendly. I immediately dove into a conversation about the alternative options they offered. He explained that embalming wasn't required in the State of New York, and that they had many different ways to care for the deceased. He listed the many ways a person could be cremated, everything from the person purchasing their own container to a number of wood containers that they provided. I asked him on average how much cremation would cost, he responded with $3,600. Although I never said the reasoning behind why I was calling the tone in his voice seemed very persuasive. He mentioned that this funeral home had no religion affiliated with it. I felt so uncomfortable, I thanked him and hung up.

Part of me feels as though I entered this situation with a very biased attitude. After studying the subject in such depth and especially after seeing "A Family Undertaking", I now realize the nightmarish ways our culture handles death. If I had done this assignment earlier in the unit I probably would of felt just as uncomfortable but more naive on the subject as a whole. Part of me feels as though although the man on the other side of the phone is well aware of what his job requires, he realizes that it is about making money. Of course I am sure he sympathizes with the customers but there is an obvious motive involved. It seems as though funeral homes make something that should be quite simple much more complicated than it needs to be. The conversation I had lacked a personal aspect and actual sincerity. What if I was calling because I had just lost someone, he never once asked that question. It made me wonder if they wait for a cue from their potential buyer. Although I know so much more now, I still am in a point where I find myself very confused. I want beauty and meaning but I can't even imagine the amount of courage and strength someone must have to literally care for the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment