Saturday, May 28, 2011

HW 59 - SOF Prom 2011 & DSPs

Prom was actually fun. I am glad that it is over mainly because as I mentioned in HW 57, it seemed as though most conversations had the same central theme. I was actually surprised, I was expecting it to be horrible and having the feeling of wanting to leave the second I walked in. It seemed as though our grade really came together and had fun as a whole community. Although people were certainly trying to create a night like a movie, I didn't feel as though anyone went above and beyond to fulfill this goal. Some girls were wearing corsages (I didn't), some guys were wearing boutonnieres, in general though everyone looked sharp and put together.

In class we talked about the pictures before prom, although I took pictures with Beatrice, when I got to the Pre-Prom it didn't seem as though any of the couples were posing for pictures. Once we arrived at prom pictures were taken of everyone, there wasn't a place for couples only. However at prom I wasn't thinking about this class, which sort of surprised me. I was anticipating to constantly be drawing connections between our conversations and what was actually happening in reality. I think the reason for this was because although it had elements that we had mentioned nothing at our prom was exactly like the predictions we had made. This made me start thinking if the hype about prom is a common misconception or at least in our school, if really when it comes down to it, it's truly just a party where people really look their best.

Right now I feel the same that I did on wednesday, I don't think I have changed or transformed into an adult. I thought it was fun playing dress up but I don't think I went over the top. I am glad that I went because I know if I had decided not to go I would of regretted it. Being there in the moment made me realize how much I appreciate my grade and how much I am going to miss them. There are so many different personalities but at the end of the day everyone has the same motive, to have fun. In the case of SOF prom I don't think it should be analyzed so critically or even try to find the weirdness in it because I found it to be quite normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment